|Alwyn Gentry’s legacy to tropical biology was not limited to the phenomenal contributions he made to the study of diversity and conservation of tropical plants. He was a caring and supportive mentor to students from all over the Americas. In remembrance and recognition of the contributions of a singular scientist, colleague, mentor, and friend, the Association for Tropical Biology and Conservation presents Alwyn Gentry Awards for the best student papers each year at its Annual Meeting.
- Two awards are given each year, one for the best student oral presentation, and one for the best student poster.
Individuals who have been students within the previous 12 months are eligible, including those who have completed the Ph.D. within that period. The number of years of eligibility is not limited. The work must have been done by the student as the senior author on the paper. Two or more students may present a joint paper and would then split the award. Award criteria are the following:
- ATBC membership
- originality of study
- contribution of the study to science
- breadth of the study
- quality of the research design and execution of the data analysis
- quality of the presentation, including audio-visual materials.
The award recipients will each receive a $100 prize, plus a free one-year subscription to Biotropica and $100 in books from the University of Chicago Press. In addition, each of the winners will have their photograph and abstract published in BIOTROPICA, as well as his/her bio published at tropicalbio.org.
The Committee reserves the right to make no award if it deems that no deserving paper has been presented or if fewer than five eligible papers are presented.
All students who wish to be considered for the Gentry Award must contact the Awards Co-Chairs at least 6 weeks prior to the ATBC meeting to inform them of your interest and to provide them with your ATBC membership number.
Co-Chairs of the Awards Committee: Kyle Harms (firstname.lastname@example.org) & Bettina Engelbrecht (email@example.com).
Best Student Oral Presentation
- 2016 – Mar Cartró-Sabaté – Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona
- 2015 – Anat Belasen – Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
Follow, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, USA. Article
- 2015 – Sarah Jane Wilson – School of Natural Resources and Environment
Follow, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, USA. Article
- 2014 – Sean Reilly – Department of Integrative Biology, University of California, Berkeley, USA
- 2013 – Maria Natalia Umaña – Michigan State University, USA
- 2012 – Sophie Fauvet – School of Geography, University of Leeds, West Yorkshire, UK.
- 2011 – Rebeka Hoffmeier-Karimi – Western Kentucky University in Bowling Green, KY, U.S.A. Article
- 2010 – Brian E. Sedio – Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, University of Michigan, U.S.A. Article
- 2009 – I-Ching Chen – Xishuangbanna Tropical Botanical Garden, Chinese Academy of Sciences. Menglun, Mengla, Yunnan, China. Article
- 2008 – Maylin Adriana Gonzales – Laboratoire d’Evolution et Diversité Biologique, Université Paul Sabatier, Toulouse, France. Article
- 2007 – Alemayehu Wassie – Centre for Ecosystem Studies, Wageningen University and Research Centre, Wageningen, The Netherlands. Article
- 2006 – Benjamin C. Wang – Center for Tropical Research & UCLA – Dept. of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, Los Angeles, CA, U.S.A. Article
- 2005 – Liliana Rios – Department of Biology, Laurentian University, Sudbury Ontario, Canada. Article
- 2004 – Nathan C. Muchhala – University of Miami, Department of Biology, FL, U.S.A. Article
- 2003 – H. Krefth – University of Bonn, Germany Article
Runners-up : Maria Del Carmen – Department of Biology, University of Puerto Rico, San Juan Puerto Rico.
- 2002 – Elizabeth A. Arnorld – Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, University of Arizona,Tucson, Arizona U.S.A. Article
- Runners-up : Zoraida Calle – Agroforestry Systems Area, Center for Research on Sustainable Agricultural Production, Cali, Colombia.
- 2001 – Derek M. Johnson – Department of Biology, University of Miami, Coral Gables, FL U.S.A. Article
Best Student Poster
- 2016- Adriane Esquivel Muelbert – University of Leeds
- 2016 – William Farfan-Rios – Wake Forest University
- 2015 – Gaku Amada – Graduate School of Agriculture, Kyoto University, Japan. Article
- 2014 – Chadtip Rodtassana – Department of Plant Science, University of Cambridge, UK
- 2013 – Dulce Rodriguez-Morales – Instituto de Ecología A.C., Mexico
- 2012 – Melbi Ramos-Fabiel – UNAM, Mexico.
- 2011 – Emiru Birhane Hizikias – Centre for Ecosystem Studies, Wageningen University and Research Centre,The Netherland. Article
- 2010 – Soumya Prasad – Centre for Ecological Sciences, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore 560012, India. Article
- 2009 – Ryan Bixenmann – Biology Dept., University of Utah, Salt Lake City, U.S.A. Article
- 2008 – Elodie Courtois – Laboratoire Evolution et Diversité Biologique, Université Paul Sabatier, Toulouse, France. Article
- 2007 – Tanya Hawley – Department of Biology, University of Miami, U.S.A. Article
- 2006 – Gang Chang. – Beisihuanxilu 25, Haidian District, Beijing, China. Article
- 2005 – Thiago J. Izzo – Coordenaçao de Pesquisa em Ecologia, INPA—Brasil; Universidade Federal de Uberlândia, Braxil. Article
- 2004 – Carlos Garcia-Robledo – Department of Biology, University of Miami, FL, U.S.A.. Article
- 2002 – Elma E. Kay – Department of Biology, Saint Louis University, St. Louis, Missouri, U.S.A. Article
About Alwyn H. Gentry
- In Memoriam: Alwyn H. Gentry, 1945-1993.
- Kathryn J. Hurlbert. A Tribute to Alwyn H. Gentry. (1994) Conservation Biology 8: 291–292. Online.
- Gentry, A. H. (Ed.). 1990. Four Neotropical rainforests. Yale University Press, New Haven, Connecticut.
- Robin B. Foster, Theodore A. Parker III, Alwyn H. Gentry, Louise H. Emmons, Avencita Chicchón, Tom Schulenberg, Lily Rodriguez, Gerardo Lamas, Hernan Ortega, Oliver Icochea, Walter West, Mónica Romo, J. Alban Castillo, Oliver Phillips, Carlos Reynol, and. (1994) The Tambopata-Candamo-Rio Heath Region of Southeastern Peru. A Biological Assessment. Chicago University Press.
- Other Books by Alwyn Gentry at Google.