- Establish the Afromontane Research Unit (ARU) as a flagship research unit at the QwaQwa campus of the University of the Free State.
- Lead and mentor a multidisciplinary team of young and experienced researchers, support staff, student assistants and post-Doctoral Fellows.
- Initiate new, especially large and long term research and development projects in Afromontane research.
- Establish and strengthen collaborative networks with peer researchers and other research and development institutions.
- Develop innovative ways to raise funds for planned and current research and development projects.
- Supervise post graduate students.
- Improve the quality and quantity of research of the ARU.
- Oversee and take responsibility for both human and financial resources of the ARU.
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- A doctoral degree or equivalent academic qualification in the sciences or humanities and social sciences.
- Extended experience in research and research management.
- An established scholar with a sustained record of research outputs and post graduate supervision.
- Additional qualifications and/or experience in management.
Term of office:Five (5) years, with the possibility of reappointment for a further term.
ABOUT THE EMPLOYER
The Qwaqwa Campus of the University of the Free State in the Eastern Free State boasts of one of the most beautiful and distinctive surroundings that will play a crucial role in fostering research in the under-researched area of the montane communities. This was revealed during the recent launch of the Afromontane Research Unit (ARU), the UFS flagship transdisciplinary research programme.
“This flagship programme has been in the making for about four years as our Qwaqwa Campus is set in a very interesting, unique, and mountainous place.
”The Unit will develop the campus’s research capacity as we have already seen a huge increase in the research outputs by Qwaqwa staff. The campus already has seven scholars in the Vice-Chancellor’s Prestige Scholars Programme (PSP), and there is notable excitement here.