The CornellLab of Ornithology is currently seeking a Postdoctoral Associate, Quantitative Ecologist/Applied Statistician. Specific duties include:
- Lead the development of hierarchical models that reconcile multiple data sets, to answer questions focused on the seasonal mechanisms of songbird populations.
- In addition to model development and validation via simulations, the postdoc will apply the model to help further conservation efforts led by the Tricolored Blackbird Working group- a multi-partner group whose members include California Audubon and U.C. Davis.
- This applied component of the research will be carried out in close collaboration with Dr. Marcel Holyoak and Dr. Bob Meese (Department of Environmental Science and Policy- U. C. Davis).
- Use different data sets for Tricolored Blackbird populations, which include predicted abundance, mark-capture-recapture records for multiple sites, breeding observations, and other count records for California.
- Present results at professional meetings, conferences, and popular seminars. Prepare peer reviewed papers and other research products, including reports and relevant information to conservation partners.
This is a full-time one year appointment, with reappointment conditional on satisfactory performance and available funding.
- PhD in quantitative ecology, computer science, applied mathematics, or a related field with strong background in statistics and model development.
- Experience with R and other statistical languages.
- Ability to apply quantitative methods to answer ecological questions or hypotheses.
- Strong record of success conducting research and scholarly activities, including publication in peer-reviewed journals.
- Experience related to dynamic models in population ecology, including estimation of demographic parameters.
- Experience in ornithology is a bonus, but not required.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Please send a single pdf file containing a letter of application outlining qualifications and experience for the position, curriculum vitae, one example publication and appendix code, and the names and contact details for two references. Email to email@example.com or in hard copy to Susan Taggart, Cornell Lab of Ornithology, 159 Sapsucker Woods Road, 291A Johnson Center for Birds & Biodiversity, Ithaca, NY 14850. Inquiries about position specifics can be directed to Dr. Viviana Ruiz-Gutierrez (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Dr. Evan Cooch (email@example.com). Review of applicants will begin February 29, 2016 and continue until the position is filled.
More info: http://www.birds.cornell.edu/page.aspx?pid=1737&utm_source=Cornell+Lab+eNews&utm_campaign=791d17d813-Cornell_Lab_eNews_2016_02_11&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_47588b5758-791d17d813-303604065