If, as a young scientist, you’re interested in making the transition from working under a supervisor to becoming and independent investigator, the ERC is here to help. ERC Starting Grants are designed to encourage young talented research leader to gain independence in Europe and to build their own careers. The scheme targets promising researchers who have the proven potential of becoming independent research leaders.
ERC Starting Grants in brief
- Eligibility: researchers of any nationality with 2-7 years of experience since completion of PhD (extensions are possible– see the latest ERC Work Programme for details), a scientific track record showing great promise and an excellent research proposal.
- Location: research must be conducted in a public or private research organization(known as a Host Institution/HI). It could be the HI where the applicant already works, or any other HI located in one of the EU Member States or Associated Countries
- Funding per grant: up to € 1.5 million
- Duration: up to 5 years
- Sole evaluation criterion: scientific excellence of researcher and research proposal
- Calls for proposals: published once a year