Attention all OTS students, faculty and alumni! The OTS Membership Committee is pleased to announce the eighth annual OTS Outstanding Student Paper Award. We invite nominations for a $500 cash prize for excellence in research via an outstanding publication in tropical biology written by a student.
Eligibility and Nomination
At the time of the nomination deadline, the paper must be published or accepted for publication in a peer-reviewed journal and reporting work completed within the tropics. To be eligible:
1) the author must have been a student (undergraduate or graduate) when the research was completed, and,
2) satisfy at least one of the following three criteria:
- Nominee is an alum of an OTS course
- Work was completed at an OTS research station (La Selva, Las Cruces, Palo Verde)
- Nominee is (was) a student at an OTS member institution. Institutional members may be found here
3) the author must still be enrolled in undergraduate or graduate school (or within 2 years of having completed a degree).
In addition, the nominee must be the first author and the paper must be published no more than 36 months before the award deadline.
Self-nominations or nominations by research advisors or colleagues are invited.
Applications will be reviewed by an Awards Committee formed by a subcommittee of the OTS Assembly of Delegates. Papers will be judged upon the papers contribution to the field including originality, study design and potential impact on the field of study.
Nomination packets should consist of a single pdf document and include:
- A nomination letter briefly describing the paper and outlining the qualification criteria from the list above
- A copy of the paper
- A brief letter from an advisor, colleague or scientist in a relevant field of study describing the impact of the paper on the field (optional, but strongly suggested)
- A CV from the nominee
Send nomination packet electronically as a pdf to the Chair of the Awards Committee, Dr. Kimberly G. Smith, University of Arkansas. If you have questions, please email Dr. Smith
Application deadline: Friday, December 2, 2016