Open to anyone around the world who can get a Brazilian visa.
PROJECT BACKGROUND AND AIMS
The project “NORDESTE: new science for a neglected biome” seeks to understand the relationships between climate, soil and vegetation structure/biodiversity at the Caatinga Biome in Brazil, a seasonally dry tropical vegetation.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
Candidates must have a PhD in Environmental or Earth Sciences (Biology, Ecology, Geography or related fields) with strong expertise in collecting, processing and analyzing leaf/plant functional traits. The candidate should be familiar with biochemical models of photosynthesis and possess a solid knowledge of forest or savanna ecology, as well as a track record of publication in international journals and scientific meetings.
Previous experience with tropical ecosystems will be strongly preferred, and relevant statistical and programming skills (R, Python etc.) are valuable assets.
Candidates should be proficient in oral and written English and willing and eligible to reside in Ribeirão Preto (SP, Brazil), working at the Biology Department of FFCLRP-USP. Preference will be given to candidates with the ability to communicate in Portuguese, and with availability for immediate start.
• To undertake original research.
• To plan and carry out research in accordance with the project aims and timeframes.
• To participate in project meetings, seminars, and be prepared to give seminars, and attend relevant workshops and conferences.
• To present research in conferences, open days and to departmental visitors.
• To write progress reports and prepare results for publication and dissemination via journals, presentations and the web.
• To cooperate with and/or co-supervise research students working on topics related to the project.
• To liaise with other members of the team and cooperate with them for the benefit of the project objectives.
• To help maintain the laboratory environment.
• To develop a sound understanding of ethical and health and safety regulations, and the responsibilities of themselves and their colleagues.
• To undertake any necessary training and/or development.
• Any other duties commensurate with the grade of the post as directed by line manager/supervisor.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Proven ability to deliver publication-quality research in plant ecophysiology or plant functional traits.
• Proven ability to work towards research goals in the face of technical challenges.
• Proven ability to work to deadlines to deliver research outputs in the form of presentations, reports and, where appropriate, demonstrations.
• Ability to communicate with scientists and researchers from a variety of disciplines.
• Ability to relate to other researchers and students in an academic context, to learn and teach new skills.
• Ability to organise own work with minimal supervision.
• Ability to prioritise own work in response to deadlines.
• Ability to set up the apparatus needed to capture data and to search the market for the most suitable apparatus.
• Ability to exercise initiative in formulating and executing work plans.
• Willingness to undertake any necessary training for the role.
• Willingness to work as part of a team and to be open-minded and cooperative.
• Willingness to travel both within Brazil and abroad to conduct research and attend conferences.
• An open, flexible and positive approach to working in a constantly changing environment.
PARTICULARS OF THE POSITION
The postdoctoral fellow will produce innovative research on plant functional trait in relation to environmental variables and evolutionary relationships. The appointee will be expected to develop new and creative methods to derive ecologically sound datasets, using ecophysilogical methods. Also, this position will require considerable field work efforts at remote and challenging areas.
The fellowship is for 24. The monthly salary of the post-doc fellowship is equal to R$ 6,819.30. Research Contingency Funds equal to 15% of the annual fellowship are available for research related expenses, such as field and lab costs and attending conferences.
Candidates of any nationality may apply. A cover letter, CV, and the names of three contacts able to provide letters of recommendation upon request should be emailed to Prof. Tomas Ferreira Domingues (email@example.com). Applications will be received until December 17th, 2016.